Start page [ Page Airfield

History of airfield St. Michaelisdonn in short

Long before World War II the gliding area located at the acclivity Klev near St. Michaelisdonn was one of the most scenic in Schleswig-Holstein. SG38 über der KlevkanteFirst attempts to fly had been made by the mid 20th and during the 30th the terrain was expanded for gliding. At the end of the second world war all hangars were torn down. Converted to farmland the airfield became a "Sleeping Beauty" for many years. 

Only by 1955, when Germany got permission to practise aviation again, the site could become again an airfield. Members of the Dithmarscher Luftsportverein e.V. started with the systematicconstruction of the airfield. Hallenbau 1958The first new hangar could be inaugurated in 1958. Establishment of the Airfield Operation Company in 1960 ushered in the extension of the airfield. The county Dithmarschen as one of the owners ofthe Airfield Operation Company bought further land and finally the size of 54 ha was reached.

On March 1, 1960 the site obtained the accreditation as public airfield and at the same time a flight school started operation.Flugschule in Hopen eröffnet
Air traffic boomed and beside building the pub "Fliegerklause" several further hangars were errected in order to house glider planes and airplanes and to accomodate the aircraft workshop of company "Westküstenflug".1962 an underfloor tank for aviation fuel was taken into operation. Extension of the runway could be finalized after relocation of the old road which was the border at the east side of the airfield.


Technical progress was made in 1963 when the controller got the first two-way radio. By 1965 annual flight movements on the airfield St. Michaelisdonn reached 31.000 representing the third position in the state Schleswig-Holstein. Thus the state government considered it necessary to employ a public servant as controller in St. Michaelisdonn. The airfield had then two runways - main runway 08/26 with 700 m length and the cross runway 14/32 with 525 m. Installation of an automatic radio direction finder and, later on, runway lightning were the prerequisites to establish commercial traffic and line operation. Thus September 23, 1967 became a special day when an airliner - type Twin-Otter - coming from the island Helgoland landed first time in St. Michaelisdonn. Companies General Air, Hamburg, and Westküstenflug maintained during the next years scheduled flights to the seaside resorts: Büsum - St. Peter-Ording - Wyk - Pellworm - Westerland - Helgoland.

A new tower and administration building could be taken into us in 1970.

Towergebäude

In 1984 a service was started where pilots were transferred by helicopters to vessels to guide them on their way from the North Sea to Hamburg. The last major construction work was finalized in 1975: the main runway with 700 m length and 18 m width was asphalted.

In 1997 the county Dithmarschen decided to liquidate the Airfield Operation Company and sell its share to the Dithmarscher Luftsportverein. Eventhough the airfield size is now reduced to 30 ha pilots are now the owners of the airfield. And still today St. Michaelisdonn is one of the most scenic airflieds in Schleswig-Holstein and an ideal starting point for flights to the North and East Frisian Island and to Denmark.


Landung auf der 08

top